Monday, March 24, 2008

the perks of being a wallflower...

so, after impersonating a vegetable all day today, i decided to gather up a few friends and head over to ihop for our usual late night coffee time. i'm up there typically 4 nights out of the week, enough to have a designated booth and a familiar face for a server. these trips usually consist of coffee, cigarettes (dont really smoke but whatever), colorful conversation, and people watching. this is also when i write the majority of my ideas for my songs, and my friends are used to me going in and out of the conversation to scribble on a napkin and then proudly announce that i have a new lyric. anyway, tonight was no different. there were plenty of interesting characters assembled in the smoking area, which is the main reason i choose to sit there...that and the excellent source of second hand smoke....among them, an elderly gentleman that resembled william shatner in a trucker hat, a group of teens discussing politics (cant see that as the best way to relax, but to each their own, right?), and two women that my friend jack labeled as "butch"...to which i speculated,
"maybe they're just two friends conversing after a long day of having to work on a holiday"

"....oooor they could be butch," he replied....but to each their own, right?

right.

so i just shook my head and took another sip of coffee. probably sensing that i was about to dump my philosophy on the entire table once i set my coffee back down, my friend tyler quickly changed the subject.
"so where's pebbles again? i haven't seen her at all this week."

pebbles is one of my nicknames for sarah, whom you may have heard about on janie's blog - janie is basically her second mom.
"she's home for the weekend. she missed her family," i answered, "she'll be back sometime monday night"
tyler had succeeded in getting me off the subject, and our small talk continued until the server came over to get our food order, but i continued to observe the two women in the booth across the room. well, an hour passed and we were on our final cups of coffee, the ashtray was littered with butts, and plates left with few survivors of the late night munchies, when a man came in through the door and approached the two women in the booth, planting a big kiss on one of them.
"HA! i knew it! they're just friends, look that one has a BOYfriend," i explained

"....they're still butch," he replied, half laughing

*sigh* to each their own, right?

later days
-T

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

heehee! good writing!

Snooty Primadona said...

Hey *dude*:

I am a new blogger/friend of Janie's and just wanted to let you know that I anjoy your easy, laid-back style of writing.

My own kids used to haunt IHOP late night, so now I can only guess what they were up to, lol. Although several yrs. younger, you remind me a lot of my own son.

Keep up the blogging and GIVE US MORE as soon as you can. :-)

That Janie Girl said...

Good writing - I bet if I were in IHOP with one of my friends, Tyler would think the same thing...

Specially if I were in camo...

(hint - go back to the font on your first post, it's way easier to read...)

Anonymous said...

Great post. Like your conversational style...it's like chatting with an old friend.

Uuum, the second-hand smoke kills me. I actually smoked through college years and for some time beyond; and still crave a cigarette now and then. I'm not a smoker now, but it would be easier for me to take a hit from a cigarette than it is for me to breath the smoke from them around me. Weird, I know.

Looking forward to your next update!

Oh, and a couple of my best buds are kinda' butch--heh. "To each his own", indeed.

i beati said...

there must be a lilting Pebbles verse in there somewhere....??

i beati said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
scotte said...

thanks for a trip back--only denny's was our spot. I probably should write some of that stuff down. Never thought of it at the time. half the fun of people watching is trying to guess which way they go. You never reallly know tho! Keep it up Sackett boy!!